Tuesday 1 January 2019

Power Armoured Paint: Space Sharks Librarian

Happy New Year dear Venturers! I seem to have found myself in something of a Warp Storm as my first hobby post of 2019  sees me revisiting my first project of 2018, the mighty Carcharodons Astra!

Long term readers may remember I started this army for last year's Mayhem tournament, and despite having a lot of fun with it in a club league, I utterly failed to complete it in time for the event.  The Big FAQ and errata did a number on the particular rules/stratagems I was using, and so the project fell into the void for some time.

However I was given a Primaris Librarian for Christmas and I decided to paint the model as a Space Shark (painting guide here) to hopefully get my enthusiasm for the army back up again. I've completed the Librarian over a couple of leisurely painting sessions this weekend.



I'm pretty sure this is the first Primaris Marine I've completed, and the model was good fun to paint with a variety of textures (i.e. armour, cape, sword, purity seals, etc.).

The cape in particular gave a lot of surfaces to try some of the free hand tribal patterns. These are way off what I would consider to be "good" but I'm slowly improving them; the larger surfaces of the Primaris Marines do give a lot of space and opportunity to "play" with these these elements.

I've also made an attempt at blood effects on the Librarian's left hand; he's not just casting Smite and blowing your brain up, he's ripping your heart from your chest and crushing it Sith-Lord style!

Here are a few more pictures, from different angles:

Right

Left

Rear
Gaming wise I'm still at a loss as to how to progress with the Carcharodons, however I now have a completely painted patrol detachment:

  • Primaris Librarian
  • 3 units of Scouts
  • Contemptor Dreadnought
  • 2 units of Devestators

 This gives me a good base to build upon, and I have a number of solid units to explore as well (remember all those Jump Pack Marines and Aggressors?). In the short term I think I'm going small scale and build and paint a Space Sharks Kill Team; may be a more fluff based approach to this project will get my mojo back for completing a bigger army!

I'll finish up with a bit of light relief; my HQ of choice during last league's year was Captain Smashy. Here's a portrait of this hero of the Imperium standing proudly on the trophies taken from his regular opponents (in my dreams at least; all the regulars have taken down Smashy far, far too often).


(This picture was drawn for me by Kathas Artworks. Pop over to her site and marvel at other funky 40K pieces).

No comments:

Post a Comment