Wednesday 1 January 2020

Varchilde's Vault is Three Years Old

It's time for the first post of 2020 and I'd like to cover my hobby highlights from the previous year and discuss some ideas for the year ahead. 

The majority of my war gaming time has been spent on 40K, having played approximately 35 games.  Kill Team follows up waaay in the distance (games played in single figures), and a solitary foray into Frostgrave as I tried out the Perilous Dark solo rules.  I have played some board games (I am very enamoured of Lords of Waterdeep at the moment), and we've played a number of sessions of The Gift D&D campaign.

A recent addition to the Cadian 82nd Imperial Guard
Painting wise I have added reinforcements to various Warhammer 40,000 armies

Dark Eldar
  • Razorwing Jet Fighter
  • 9 Incubi
  • Succubus
  • Raider
Razorwing. Pew Pew!
Imperial Guard
  • Company Commander
  • 5 Mortar Teams
  • 10 Guardsmen
  • Tech Priest Enginseer
  • 6 Tempestus Scions
  • Hellhound
Hot Shot Volley Gunners
Space Marines
  • Primaris Librarian
  • 10 Primaris Intercessors
  • Primaris Reiver
  • Smash Captain
  • Tyberos the Red Wake
  • Imperial Space Marine
  • 6 Primaris Aggressors
  • 3 Primaris Eliminators
  • Thunderfire Cannon and Gunner

Random 40K Dudes
  • Castellan Crowe
  • Deathwatch Veteran
  • Callidus Assassin
I've also painted a number of Fantasy models; in part as an experiment with the new Contrast paints (that are a wonderful addition to the painters toolbox), and also as a break from GrimDark sci fi warriors!  I think my favourites are the Mimic, and Cornelius the doggo Mage.




I'm starting to use the Contrast Paints more regularly on my models, although as a complement to my regular painting techniques as opposed to a replacement. I'm very pleased with the results I'm getting with them.  The rich brown on the pouch and gun strap on the Eliminator below are Snakebite Leather.


To round out the list I also painted the Kill Team Arena terrain.  Which is somewhat ironic as I haven't played Arena yet.


My total for the year comes in at just shy of 80 models, plus the Kill Team terrain. Not too shabby!

My painting and gaming goals for the start of 2020 are fairly modest:

Play some more diverse games systems
I've already hopped onto a 5th ed Dungeons and Dragons campaign (this'll be my first time on the player side of the table in a good few years), and want to play some more Perilous Dark.  I'm aiming to paint a new Warband for the latter.

Add Space Shark reinforcements 
My doubles tournament list is almost complete, but I have a big old pile of Space Marines to paint. I'll dip into this project as the fancy takes me.

Paint more Fantasy models
The first Perilous Dark scenario needs snakes, lots of snakes!  I've had a hankering to fill out a D&D bestiary of models for a while, and I think 2020 might be the year I finally do this.

Thanks for reading so far; I hope you'll join me through this year's hobby projects and gaming antics!

No comments:

Post a Comment