Sunday 14 November 2021

Pestilential Painting: Send in the Drones

 Welcome back to the Vectorium! Like a lot of hobbyists I have a list of projects, and a vague plan/painting order in which I want to complete them. For example I've got a unit of Deathshroud Terminators all primed which will take my Death Guard to 2000 points, and a whole bunch of Dark Eldar Coven models for the Hero Forge Challenge.

But some days you just need to say screw it, and see where the hobby butterfly takes you! I really enjoy painting the Death Guard Daemon Engines, and so the recent painting sessions have been spent on another Foetid Bloat Drone.

Buzz Blight Spear has a new friend to play with! He's called Karl, in tribute to Neil's infamous Ork Mega Nob "Kill Saw Karl". 


There's enough variation between the models (different face plates, etc.) to distinguish them, and I quit like the Cylon Raider like eye slit on this version. 

I've also been varying the weathering techniques (again). In this case I've stippled Typhus corrosion in patches before applying thinned Nuln Oil across the model. Finally the armour plates have received a coat of Streaking Grime which I'm quite pleased with.


Astute readers may note a sheen on the base; the muddy texture paint is still *very wet* in the pictures.


My recent hobby escapades haven't been limited to just painting Karl. Whilst a lot of gamers visited Salute I stayed local and visited the Tolworth Model Railway exhibition with a friend. I'm not mad on trains but I am fascinated by the detail and skills that go into making the layouts and dioramas, and the exhibitors are always happy to chat and discuss their amazing set ups. I picked up some new hobby tools, so all in all a very enjoyable afternoon.

I also played a game of Frostgrave at First Founding on Friday evening. Greg very kindly ran me through a game of 2nd edition and we had great fun looting the ruins of Felstad and battling the various wild denizens of the city. I'd forgotten how much I love Frostgrave! We've decided to play some semi-irregular games as a campaign, and see if we can rope some other players in.

I want to paint a new warband to use in the games, That's *another* project on the list; such is the gamers lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment