Sunday 13 December 2020

Pestilential Painting: Foul Blightspawn

 Welcome back to the Vectorium! This week has been interesting for Death Guard news; the Codex is delayed until the New Year, but GW have been previewing some of the updated rules. I won't go through these in detail as there's plenty of analysis on the Web. In the main these look pretty good aside from the disappointing changes to Disgustingly Resilient. I'll have a minor vent about that at the bottom of the post so feel free to give that an ignoring if you wish*.

I have finished painting the Foul Blightspawn model, and I'm pretty pleased with the end results.


Whilst I'm not painting the Death Guard particularly quickly I am enjoying the process which is fine; I'm not painting to a deadline and so not getting into a rut with the project.

The standout element on the Blightspawn has to be the fuel tank; I've covered the porthole with a couple of layers of gloss varnish to really make it shine and it's an interesting juxtaposition to the grotty metal work surrounding it.


The Blightspawn is packed with short ranged firepower; his plague spreader and belt full of skull bomb thingies. I'm hopeful these will work well with the new disease aura rules; giving enemy units a Toughness de-buff and then dowsing them in pox should be fun!



  Next on the painting queue will be the second unit of Plague Marines; this'll make a decent size mini-project for the Christmas holidays.

*Vent time. In a vacuum I don't like the new Disgustingly Resilient rule; the old version allowed a Death Guard model to potentially ignore each wound it sustained on a 5+ roll. The new version applies a flat -1 to Damage every time a Death Guard model is wounded. 

I'm sure there are a variety of scenarios where each version is mathematically better/worse than the alternative, but it's not a change in "power" where I dislike the change. The new rule is just boring. A Plague Marine being able to weather a storm of fire and hail mary a lucky set of DR rolls makes for some great stories and edge of seat games. -1 to Damage has none of that potential.

Moan over; I hope we'll see the old variant available via a Stratagem or Warlord Trait when the new Codex is released. Regardless I'll continue to paint the models hope and look forward to the time I can get them on the table top for a game.

No comments:

Post a Comment