Sunday 27 September 2020

Tales from Titan: Strike Two!

 Welcome back to the Vault my fellow Brother Captains. Today's post is something of a "lessons learnt" piece. I recently played a game of 40K against Lyle, a fellow First Founding club member's Emperors Children list with my old school Tau force. The Fish are not something I've blogged about before; they are an Ebay rescue which need a lot of TLC applied before I'd share photos of them on the Vault.

However we decided to veer away from our usual armies (Lyle is very accomplished Ad Mech Tech Priest) for a different game. How is this relevant to Grey Knights? A good question! My current GK list is very Elite, featuring 4 Terminator Squads, and so playing a Tau list with multiple cheap infantry squads allowed me to try some of the action based mission Secondary objectives.

I've shied away from the action Secondaries as my Terminator squads need to be shooting, casting rather than Raising Banners and so on. However for the price of one Termie squad I can get 2 squads of Strike Marines, and making this one simple swap opens up some interesting opportunities.


The Strikes are more vulnerable then the Terminators (worse Saves) but have twice the Shooting output (10 Storm Bolters vs 5) and can cast 2 psychic powers as opposed to one.

Or alternatively I can match shooting/casting and have a unit spare for Actions! I suspect they will be especially useful for Deploy Scramblers (Deploy at Home Turn 1 with any unit, Deep Strike Strikes to No Mans Land or Away Turn 2, then Gate to the last zone for Turn 3), or Investigate Sites (Gating around Objectives).

An alternative is to take a cheapish Character (like an Apothecary) in place of the second Strike Squad and attempt Psychic Actions. I suspect that at lower point games the extra Troop unit would be more useful.

More to try out on the table top; I'll try this the next time I use my Grey Knights and report back on how I fare.

No comments:

Post a Comment