Sunday 12 April 2020

Frostgrave: The Arcane Ruins

Welcome back to the Vault once more! Today's post is a brief interlude from the Living Spells as I've been spending some of my lock down time revisiting old fantasy gaming material; D&D modules, miniatures and so on.  In doing so I've come across a half finished terrain project that I thought would be fun to complete; the venerable Arcane Ruin kit.


I really should have painted this kit sooner as it has seen a lot of use on my Frostgrave tables. As well as the dais and obelisk the set also contains a number of pillars (both complete and broken) and a set of capstones.

Here's the kit with the pillars in place:


And with the capstones on top making Skull Henge:


Like most of my paint schemes this is very simply achieved:
  • Base coat Black
  • Apply a dark grey, avoiding the recesses
  • Dry brush Ulthuan Grey.
  • Final dry brush of White Scar to top points.
For bonus creepiness I've added some Blood for the Blood God to the obelisk and dais because who doesn't love skulls that weep blood.

The model feels quite enclosed with all the pillars in place but using some of the broken columns opens the area up for accessibility on the tabletop. 




The modular nature of the kit allows for some great scatter terrain arrangements:


I've also been painting up various gribblies which may inhabit these strange ruins.  First up is a Wraith (Northstar).  This is the first metal model I've painted in *ages*; whilst I love plastic kits for their verstality, there is something wonderful about the heft of a decent metal mini!


Next is a Were Rat courtesy of Grenadier circa 1980-something! Yes, my pile of shame is old indeed :P

Odd base due to the fact I couldn't be bothered to remove *that* much metal


Looks great with a minimal amount of effort, courtesy of Contrast. There's still plenty of models left to paint and with a bank holiday to look forward to, I'm hoping to get another painting session in before the return to work. I'll be sure to share the results in a future post.

Thanks for reading, and I hope you've enjoyed the post.  Stay safe, and feel free to let me know how you've been spending your hobby time in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment