Sunday 29 September 2019

Regimental Reporting: The final push

Welcome back to the Vault once more!  The Cadian 82nd have been furiously preparing for the upcoming offensive on Octoberfest, and the muster is nearly complete.

I've finished up the paint jobs on the half a dozen remaining infantry models.  First up is the Tech Priest Enginseer:

I enjoyed painting this gent; this was a change of colours to my usual guard models.  I also took the opportunity to use some contrast paints in different ways; as a wash/shade, and over a metallic base (the red diamond effect on the axe haft).

Here's a couple of alternative angles:

Enginseer: Left

Enginseer: Right
I've also completed a squad of Tempestus Scions.  This is the first unit of the new plastic Scions I've actually painted! I'd previously painted some plasma gunners to supplement my metal Karskins, but rather than just painting the new special weapons troopers I decided to have a go at a complete unit.

Scion: Sarge

Scions: Hot Shot Volley Guns

Scions: Regular Larrys
I've applied a couple of lessons since painting the plasma Scions:
  • Less is more in terms of edge highlighting the armour plates
  • Use metallics on the trim of the armour plates rather than "more grey"
I'm pleased with how they look; they'll fit in nicely alongside my regular infantry.

I have also added some decals to my tanks (yuk, horrible job), and started basing the infantry (also a messy, not particularly fun job).  I'm re-basing the Astropath from his original urban "rubble" to match the Guard force.  The texture paint has been applied and all the bases will get a dry brush once the texture is fully dry.

One of the first ever 40K models I painted!
This venerable model could do with a spruce up but he'll pass muster for Octoberfest.  

The tournament is still a few weeks away, and I am having a a bit of 11th hour second guessing on my list.  The core is set, but I have a few options for the last hundred points or so:
  • Hydra: my current option, this gives the list a touch of anti-flyer power, and is ok at popping the odd Primaris (being D2)
  • Chimera: this is a very un-sexy option in terms of damage output, but provides a lot of flexibility in terms of mobility, and early game protection for my squishy characters and/or mortars.
  • Wyvern: this adds even more indirect fire to my list (good in case I lose the mortars early), and for a measly 1 CP investment in the Vigilus artillery detachment unlocks some really good stratagems (double-shoot and halve movement). 
Luckily all these other options are all painted!  I'll have to make my final choice soon, and I'll post the list (with traditional army pics) on the Vault.

No comments:

Post a Comment