Wednesday 5 September 2018

Terrain for Tourists?

I think it's time for another visit to the Vault and today I'd like to share some more terrain pieces. Not that these items were originally intended to be wargaming terrain! 

One of the fun aspects of the hobby for me is looking for unusual items which I  can re-purpose for use on the gaming tabletop (my love of aquarium pieces is well known). And I came across a couple of such items in the tourist shops of Granada, Spain where I spent my summer holiday.

First up is the Fountain of the Lions, found in the wonderful Moorish citadel, the Alhambra.

 The original is carved from alabaster and marble (although I suspect my tourist's version is made from far less valuable materials!)

Photograph by Mauro Marinelli (CC BY-SA 3.0)
The model itself is a good scale for 28mm gaming and whilst the painting on it could do with some touching up (particularly the water), the stonework and weathering isn't bad. It'll be a good centre piece for the Well of Dreams and Sorrow Frostgrave scenario.

See it scales well. I wasn't lion.
The second item is a rather lovely depiction of the Tomb of Catholic Monarchs (Queen Isabella I and King Ferdinand) located in the Royal Chapel of Granada.


The detail on the model is quite well done, and it is firmly stuck to it's wooden base. I have tried removing the plinth but I'd risk damaging the model if I apply too much force.

Photograph by Javi Guerra Hernando (CC BY-SA 4.0)
As you can see the model's colouring isn't a bad attempt at the real monument. I quite like the effect of the wash but to fit with my fantasy terrain collection I think I'll need to re-paint it in a grey scheme (which will also blend in the wooden base).

 
It is quite a substantial model and will provide a decent amount of Line of Sight blocking. I can see it making a nice focal point for my graveyard set up for playing scenarios like the Mausoleum.

The final icing on the cake was the price; both pieces together cost the princely sum of around 10 euros. Not a bad find at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment