Sunday 7 April 2019

Cool Stuff: Dungeons and Doggies

Welcome back to the Vault once more! My pile of Unpainted Stuff continues to grow; mainly models I plan to use for 40K, but there have also been some additions to my fantasy model collection. I usually buy models with a gaming use in mind, but every so often I'll spot something which is just so cool I'll grab it, practical considerations be damned.

Steam Forged Games "Dungeons and Doggies" range definitely falls into the latter category.  This was a Kickstarter I backed in 2018, and which delivered recently; it comprises a number of 28mm scale adventuring dogs (yes really) covering a breadth of classes and breeds.

I'll start with my favourite, Cerysse the Saint Bernard Cleric:

How much healing potion is in that keg?

How cool is that! Beautiful, crisp sculpt with loads of detail and character.

There are 13 models in the set, including a Kickstarter exclusive Tonka the Mastiff Bard:


The models are packaged in a box with great art work:


The character on the front is Cornelius the Golden Retriever Wizard:


The other spell casters include Morgaine the Daschund Sorceror:


and Tobias the Corgi Warlock:


No D&D party would be complete without the brave warriors of course. Here's Hartley the French Bulldog Fighter:


I particularly like Cassandra the Husky Paladin, alert and every ready to face evil!


I'm not sure how Flint the Blueheel Ranger uses his crossbow mind you:


And I'm pretty sure a lot of opponents will underestimate Svetlana the Beagle Barbarian, although this pup has seen some action!

What is best in life? To drive your enemies before you. And tummy rubs.
Steam Forged have backed up the model range with some excellent gaming material. There is a 5th edition rules pack which covers Dog PCs, awakened animal companions, themed magic items, feats, clerical domains and so on. There is also a character sheet and background for each of the models.

Let's cover the remaining characters. There's Freya the German Shepherd Druid:

Can a doggo druid wild shape to human form?
Then there are the two nimble party members, Nightingale the Pomeranian Monk:


And Tedric the Chihuahua Rogue:


And last but by no means least is Montague the Cocker Spaniel Bard:

Because a party needs 2 Bards right? No of course not. Poor Bards
The supporting material also includes a themed adventure with encounter maps, and a number of Art Cards (the rules pack is jammed full of beautiful art).

I can see a bunch of uses for these models; the rules can easily be converted to 3rd Ed (my particular D&D rules set of choice) and there's loads of opportunities for using them:

  • Canine PCs
  • Animal Companions (awakened or otherwise)
  • Regular PCs transformed into canine equivalents
  • A group of intelligent dog NPCs within the campaign world (I'm thinking a bit like the way Cats are portrayed in the Monstress Graphic Novels)
There are also plenty of uses in non-D&D games. I'm thinking particularly of Frostgrave, either as Warhounds or as an entire Warband; I'm pretty sure I could get my opponents to agree to their use!

You can find out more about Dungeons and Doggies here. I'm really looking forward to letting the dogs out onto the table top!

No comments:

Post a Comment