Sunday 15 March 2020

Tales from Titan: Scratching beneath the surface

Welcome back to the Vault! I've had a productive hobby session this week working on my Van Saar gang in advance of the club's Necromunda campaign and continuing to slap paint on the pile of unpainted fantasy monsters.

I've also been digging deeper into the Grey Knights rules in the Ritual of the Damned supplement, and I'm quite excited by some of the tricks on offer!  Let's have a look at some of the tricks I've spotted.


First up are the Purifiers.  This unit is typically overlooked for Strike Squads which benefit from innate Deep Strike and Objective Secured.  The Purifiers do have a couple of interesting features available to them; a short ranged D6 Smite, the ability to spam special weapons, and more importantly access to a decent invulnerable Save.  The Untainted and Unbowed Stratagem grants a unit of Purifiers a 4++, which can be boosted to the equivalent of 3++ if they have Sanctuary cast upon them.

The Purifiers would need to fill a niche role in a list, and currently I'm not sure what that is! I have a recollection of Purifiers having 2 Attacks each in a previous edition and this would make them a much stronger choice if they had retained it in 8th edition.

I can see Interceptors being much more useful in a list.


In comparison to Strike Marines, they trade Objective Secured for a 12" move and a once per game free Gate of Infinity like ability called Personal Teleporters.  Gate is widely regarded as one of the signature Grey Knight abilities allowing a unit to teleport anywhere on the board more than 9" away from an enemy unit, however as a psychic power it is limited to once per turn.  Personal Teleporters allows multiple units to gate in a turn!

Interceptors have access to the Teleportation Boost Stratagem which grants a unit an additional Teleport Shunt. They are also good targets for the Edict Imperator power which potentially allows them to move 24" in a turn.

Interceptors are Infantry (as opposed to Jump Infantry), but can shoot and charge after a fall back move if they use the Fight on the Move Stratagem; this gives them a lot of flexibility.

These feel like a very different set of units to those I've been using in the Space Sharks; I'm hoping that next week I'll get some of them onto the tabletop for a game.  I'll be sure to update the blog with the results.

-x-

As proof that the whole week hasn't been spent on theory hammer here's the latest addition to my D&D menagerie; the fearsome Displacer Beast:


No comments:

Post a Comment