Sunday 1 March 2020

New Games and New Projects

Welcome back to the Vault! Regular readers will know that I'm lucky to belong to a local club called First Founding which has a lot of different systems and games on offer.  Last year I hardly strayed out of my 40K comfort zone on club nights with a rare foray into Kill Team. 

At the start of this year I made a resolution to actively seek out and play some different games, and I've dived in head first.

First up is a Necromunda campaign, where in player controls a gang of thugs and scummers to control the lawless regions of the Underhive. I've never played this sci fi skirmish game before, but it seems very well regarded, and so I've thrown my hat in the ring to fight leading the high tech goons of House Van Saar.

I've assembled my gang according to the rule of cool (i.e. chucked the coolest looking guns onto the models), and painted the first Mook!


I can see my next few painting sessions being spent working on Varchilde's Vandals, led by Van Halen and supported by his trusted lieutenants Van Cleefe and Van Damme!  Yes, I saw the puns and I went there.

I'm quite pleased with the colour scheme (although I need to wash and weather the metal work), and with less than a dozen models to paint it should be manageable to work through.



I've also joined a Dungeons and Dragons campaign! I'm very excited by this opportunity put me on the players side of the table for the first time in years.  The group use the new 5th edition rules, so I'm having to figure these out, having been running a 3rd ed-ish game for my own campaign.

Our adventure is very Savage Lands/Dark Suns-esque, and I'm looking forward to Immerel the Druid guiding the party through the wilds in search of adventure and glory.

On a fantasy gaming related note, I've had a side project to increase my miniature collection of D&D related monsters and bad guys.  I was given a couple of Wiz Kids pre-primed monsters for my birthday last year, and decided to slap some paint onto one.


This is a very simple paint job; mainly washes and dry brush.  I quite like the gore on his talons and maw; he's probably found a hapless adventurer or three to feast upon!

The base still needs working on, but he's certainly passable for a table top run in with an adventuring band.




So there's plenty to keep me entertained over the coming weeks, and let's not forget the inevitable games of 40K that are bound to get played as well!  I'll report on all the shenanigans as the games and painting unfolds.

No comments:

Post a Comment