Sunday 8 March 2020

Tales from Titan: Legend Has It

Welcome back to the Vault once more! Long term readers will know I'm pretty casual with my competitive 40K; meaning that I rarely enter events beyond those organised at my local club and store, and I tend to play lists I find fun rather than cut throat "meta" lists.

That's not to say I don't indulge in more competitive games on occasion.  Several of my play group are keen tournament players and will happily travel long distances to throw dice and move models. Recently I was asked by Marcus our resident Eldar player for a game against my Grey Knights (specifically the double Paladin bomb list that's been doing well at a number of large tournaments in the wake of the Rituals of the Damned book). 


I won't dwell on the details of the game (I lost horribly, horribly), but I think the updated Grey Knights have potential in the hands of a skilled player, particularly with their movement tricks.

Which segues nicely into some list building ideas I've been kicking around with the Carcharodons Astra.  The Space Sharks have a lot of deployment tricks, and I've been trying to come up with ways to continue the theme with the Phobos and Raven Guard psychic powers and stratagems (such as Temporal Corridor and Shadow Step).  These powers have some limitations around which units can use them and it's been a struggle to build a list balancing these elements.

The Grey Knights might very well be the list I've been trying to build!  So I'm going to put the Carcharodons Astra to one side for a little while and play some games with the Sons of Titan.  The organiser of Mayhem (First Founding's spring tournament) has just announced this year's event will be 1500 points instead of 1250 which means my beloved Grey Knight Terminators might be viable.

The Grey Knights haven't been to Mayhem since 6th edition, so it would be great to get them on the tournament tables again, particularly since I have painted some new units and characters in the mean time.


The double Paladin bomb is too pricey points wise for Mayhem (and I'm not a massive fan if I'm brutally honest), and the event has some other quirky list building rules (such as single codex and no doubling on detachment types like Battalion) which will curtail the Command Points available to feed a very CP hungry list!

I have a few ideas in mind to try out which are a bit off-meta so it will be fun to see if they work out.

As an aside, a staple trick of Grey Knight lists is a Dreadnought with Twin Lascannon and Missile Launcher buffed with Astral Aim so it can ignore line of sight and provide some long range fire support.  

My Grey Knight collection includes a trio of Dreadnoughts all converted to use two sets of Twin Autocannons which have now been relegated to Legend status (which means a lot of events won't allow them).  Whilst Mayhem does allow Legend units, I thought it would be useful to prepare some Missile Launcher arms for the dreadnoughts.

Yes, ironically, having converted missile launchers to Autocannons, I'm now converting other dreadnought arms to missile launchers!



These are very simple conversions: 
  • Cut off the lower section of the Dreadnought close combat arm below the sloped panel on the shoulder joint with a hobby saw.
  • Cover the gap in the bottom of the Dreadnought arm with a small piece of plasticard.
  • Grab a spare Deathwind Missile Launcher from a Drop Pod, and cover the gap on the top with another piece of plasticard.
  • Cut a small disk from a bit of sprue.
  • Glue the disk to the bottom of the Dreadnought arm, and then glue the Missile Launcher to the arm.
That's it for now. There's lots of material to cover with the Grey Knights, so let's see if I can turn the theory into practice on the tabletop!

No comments:

Post a Comment