Sunday 5 July 2020

Power Armoured Paint: DIY Redemptor Dreadnought Base

Welcome back to the Vault! It's been a while since I've written about Warhammer 40,000 but fear not as the hobby butterfly has alighted upon my backlog of unpainted Space Shark models.

I have started applying the base coats to a Redemptor Dreadnought. This is one of the "easy build" kits which I've modified to a different weapon fit with the addition of a mini chain gun and missile pod.

Long term readers will know that my Carcharodons are all based on the lovely Sector Mechanicus bases, but this range does not cover the massive 100 mm based used for the Dreadnought.

What's a hobbyist to do? Well, one dip into the bitz box and hobby supplies later and I was suitably furnished with materials to fashion my own:


The main tread plate is from an old GW terrain kit, whilst the other materials are in no particular order:

  • Strips of plasticard
  • Off cuts of granny grate (used for needle work projects)
  • A piece of I-bar.

A couple of lamps from the Sector Mechanicus base kit finished off the assembly.

I'll admit that the base looks a bit rough at this point, but with a suitable application of paint it looks a lot better:



I'm quite pleased with how the project has turned out; it's certainly a lot better than the original flat base!

Here's a pic with the WIP Redemptor on the base:

With hindsight I should have chose a different angle; the base looks tiny!

I'm sure all 40K players will be aware that a new rules set will be released later this month. I'm resisting the temptation to comment on the various pre-release articles, leaks and core rule PDF until I've got the full rule book in my hands and have had the chance to digest it (and there are plenty of sources on the web where you can find this sort of information out).

You might be interested to time travel back to my 8th ed wish list post. I think GW have done a cracking job in rejuvenating the player base and reinvigorating interest in the game, however the salt I reserved for the claims of a balanced rule set came in very handy!  Regardless I've enjoyed the edition and hope to continue to do so during 9th; there will be plenty of articles to come as I explore New40K I'm sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment