Sunday 27 June 2021

Looking forward to social contact!

 Welcome back to the Vault my fellow Venturers! Every so often I like to take a step back from sharing the pictures of the minis I've been painting, and sharing cool stories from the games I've played to reflect on why we engage in these hobbies.

I had the great fortune to spend some time with Dave G over the weekend, and we caught up on all things 40K related, our latest painting projects and what we are looking forward to in the future. We are scheduling a game of 40K (the first table top outing for my Death Guard), and really looking forward to the opening of First Founding when lockdown finally buggers off.

The conversation left both of us feeling energised and enthusiastic to get back to the table top! I've written before on the benefits of gaming and model making/painting, and painting has certainly helped me deal with the difficulties of lockdown and the uncertainty of recent times.

I've been in something of a rut recently, and I think the lack of social interaction on the gaming side is partly responsible. I love the weekly D&D game on Discord (something which has rekindled my love for the game), but the thought of arraying toy soldiers on the battle field really has me smiling. I need to get writing a list!

It seems from the First Founding's Facebook page that a lot of people are feeling the same way; either regulars keen for the return or individuals who have recently taken up modelling/painting and now want to start rolling dice. Can't wait to meet new people!

Hobby wise I've plenty to keep me busy:

  • Paint more Death Guard (don't see that project finishing soon).
  • Revisit the Imperial Guard for the Glazers Farm event Neil and I keep talking about but have never got round to actually playing!
  • Prep the D&D one shot I've promised the group for a club night.
  • Keep scratching away at the D&D campaign ideas.

There's also another addition to the never ending list of "cool ideas that will probably never amount to a tangible output". I recently watched Army of the Dead on Netflix, and really enjoyed it; whilst I've never been a huge horror or zombie flick fan, this was a great mix of humour, action and ketchup splashing. It would be fun to run a zombie action game; I'm aware of Zombicide and so on, but an RPG take could be cool. Might be a good crossover project for "The Spy Game". Something else to research!

No comments:

Post a Comment