Sunday 19 August 2018

Multipurpose Terrain Crafting

Welcome back dear Venturers! My summer break is almost over and that means it's time to share some of the fruits of my hobby time with you. I've been working on a number of projects which I'll disclose over a series of posts and I'd like to start with some terrain pieces.

Like a lot of my fellow club members I've got *very* excited about the new Kill Team and picked up the starter box. However from my Frostgrave gaming experience I knew that the amount of terrain in the starter box was unlikely to be enough for a densely packed table so I purchased a couple of the Pegasus Gothic City kits along side it. The lovely thing about the Pegasus kits is that they are both modular and will work for 40K and Fantasy (i.e. Frostgrave).

So I've been busy assembling and playing with the buildings. Please bear in mind that a lot of these kits are still works in progress:

Lots of new toys!
(As an aside the mat is a double sided cobblestone/dungeon tile FAT mat. Lovely to play on).

I've made and painted some bases for the two corner ruins. The 40K terrain rules for ruins really need a distinct base/footprint to work properly so I've created these as a proof of concept.




The base piece is thick chipboard with the tiles cut from cardboard and glued on. The paint job is a simple spray then two-tone grey brush job over the top.  I plan to make more of these for the other ruins and will seal the edges of the bases before applying paint as there's a little bit of flaking in a couple of places.

There are a lot of great online resources about maximizing the use of the Pegasus kits, and I'm particularly impressed by Kiblam's videos.  I've been trying out some of his tricks and tips; first up ruined wooden floors made from styrene sheet/plasticard and given a quick paint job. 



For the larger block tower structure I've gone for tiled floors, again made from plasticard and given a simple paint job. I can whack one of the corner ruins onto a variant of this tower and it's good for the Silent Tower Frostgrave scenario.



Kiblam also demonstrates creating ruined pieces from whole sections to make some of the dilapidated structures more credible. This entry way is a good example (and I've saved the cut out piece to use as part of some scatter scenery):


It's also possible to make ruined end sections. I've used both flooring and distressing on this building before painting it:




Observant readers might notice the right hand floor section is subtly different to the other wooden floors; it's actually made with lolly sticks. I actually found the plasticard easier to work with so I went with the simpler option for the majority of the pieces!

I'm pleased with the paint job on this building; it's a good match for other pieces in my collection. Here's a side by side with a GF9 Gothic pre-painted ruin:



The paint scheme is very simple:
  • Prime Black
  • Spray dark grey zenith highlight
  • Overbrush with Ulthuan Grey
The floor pieces have Dawnstone (a mid grey) applied to the tiles to lighten them up before hitting them with the lighter Ulthuan shade.

-x-

In Frostgrave gaming news I've played a further campaign game at the club and recruited a Marksman to use the shiny magic crossbow I acquired from the loot. My Warband continues to grow!

This will hurt. Especially if I've lit up the hapless victim with Glow first

   
That's it for this post. Thanks for reading and please stop by again soon; there's loads going on within the Vault!

No comments:

Post a Comment