Sunday 18 June 2023

Power Armoured Paint: Ultramarines

Welcome back to the Vault! I'm taking advantage of a lazy Father's Day to build some new models for my Iron Warriors to hit the 10th edition 40k table top. But that isn't the topic of today's post! 

Having painted an awful lot of Silver and Brass in recent months I fancied painting a change of colour scheme. I've played a decent amount of Boarding Actions recently and so I thought a new 500 point boarding force would be fun to do. I have an awful lot of Space Marine models in the Pile of Promise, and so here's a fully finished set of 40ks Poster Boys, the Ultramarines.

First up is the Leader; a sneaky Phobos Librarian


He is ably supported by a unit of Infiltrators.


There are two more Troop Squads. Choppy Assault Intercessors.


And shooty Heavy Intercessors.


Finally there is a squad of flamer armed Aggressors, perfect for the close confines of Boarding Actions.


This has been a fun project, and I've learnt a lot doing it as it's been an opportunity to try some new techniques and paints. 
  • Batch painted all 19 models in one go (i.e. complete one step on all before going onto the next.
  • Improved my technique for applying decals
  • Used some new Pro Acryl paints for the first time
  • Used enamel washing to apply all the shading. 
I've had some feedback that the blue is too light for Ultras. I honestly like the slightly lighter blue, particularly with the streaking grime over the top. The scheme is fast enough I might paint some more Smurfs in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment