Sunday 22 May 2022

Warsmith's Words: Completed Iron Warriors Land Raider

 Welcome back to the Vault! I've had a couple of productive hobby sessions over the last couple of weekends slapping paint onto my Iron Warriors Land Raider. The steel seems a bit blotchy on the close up pictures but I'm happy with it at table top distance.

If you haven't read the original post; this model is a bit of a Frankenstein; the usual tracks and top plate have been replaced with 3D printed parts from Battle Bling. They give the model a great look.


I primed the model with Chaos Black before applying a zenithal (i.e angled spray) of Leadbelcher from the top. There's wash applied to the armour at various points before reapplying Leadbelcher, and some key Chainmail highlights.

The tracks were then painted with Warplock Bronze before adding a rough overbrush of Rune Lord Brass.

I'm pleased with how the hazard stripes have turned out, particularly on the heavy bolters. I used Tamiya painters tape over a solid yellow base colour and then painted over with black. Remove the tape and Ta Da! With hindsight the second stripe to the rear of the Raider should have been thicker. I'll know that for future if I paint something similar.


The transition from dark to lighter metal can be seen working up the tank; I think it looks ok. 

I've applied a couple of Legion decals to the sponsons. Don't worry about the one above; it is flat despite the deceptive appearance.


I'm looking forward to the new Codex being released and finally getting the Iron Warriors onto the tabletop; I suspect Land Raiders will still be rubbish but at least it will look cool on the battlefield!

Next on the Iron Warriors painting queue will be some more Orlocks to complete the Cultist unit I started for the Eye Gougers Kill Team. A progress post on those in due course.

No comments:

Post a Comment