Sunday 16 May 2021

Mind Games

 Welcome back to the Vault! Hobby time has been incredibly limited this week, bar the very welcome Friday night D&D shenanigans of Immerel and company. (High level adventurers we may be, but it looks like we've been duped. Again. At least it wasn't by a group of giant monkeys like last time, so that's good I guess.)

I keep a notebook where I can scribble down hobby and gaming ideas; occasionally the muse will strike, and if I don't note it then inevitably I'll forget it. Currently I'm trying to come up with some 5th edition character concepts which may eventually get elaborated into fully fleshed PCs. The aim is to sketch out a character per class, so if the opportunity comes up to play something I've got a head start on what I'd like to try out.

Now I don't really need a dozen PCs which I'll probably never play, but they could see use as NPCs, or possibly provide inspiration for others. There is another reason I'm going through this exercise; I'm using it as a means to provide some relaxation and a means to switch off from work at the end of the day. It's an interesting way of getting some hobby time in, and it's low investment in terms of time commitments (even just spending a few minutes deciding one aspect of a character helps develop the concept, and re-focuses the brain).

So what am I working up? There are two characters I'm currently thinking through.

A Warlock with a Genie Patron. The character's lineage will be elementally based; possibly Genesai, but dwarf fits very well. A very expressive merchant who deals with unusual and exotic goods (possibly gems/jewellery), who likes the finer things in life. The genie lamp feature (where the character gets to "hop into" an extradimensional space) would provide a means to carry trade goods discretely!

Possibly a slave to a more powerful being, freed in return for taking a warlock pact? 

The Guy Ritchie Paladin. I'll admit it, this idea just evolved from a random conversation with a friend which turned into a Mockney "Shut It" exchange worthy of The Sweeney. The idea of an East End Gangster type where I can use my appalling accent skills really appeals.

5th edition turned the traditional concepts of paladins on their head. Yes you can play the archetypal demon slaying holy Knight in full plate, but you don't have to. The Paladin Oaths can be sworn for a variety of reasons, and not necessarily good ones. A John Wick-esque "Oath of Vengeance" paladin could work; the grizzled warrior forced out of retirement, who seeks revenge and freedom from those who have placed a hold on him.  

He is of course "A man of focus, commitment and sheer will"; sounds like the right attitude for a pally's oath! 

That's it for this time; a short post, but hopefully interesting. As ever, thanks for taking the time to stop by.

No comments:

Post a Comment