Sunday 10 May 2020

Ruined Wizards Tower

Welcome back to the Vault!  Even though we are still in lock down I've been lucky to get some gaming in over the last week or so, having played in an online Dark Suns-esque D&D session, and my eldest daughter and I took on the Writhing Fumes solo Frostgrave scenario running a Warband between us.

Hobby wise I'm still firmly in the thrall of painting models for my fantasy based games, and I've been tackling a more significant project; the forgotten Wizard's Tower, now fallen into ruin.



This is a Games Workshop kit that has sat assembled but unloved on my shelf for ages. It's so old in fact, that GW no longer produce it and I've forgotten the proper name of the model!

One of the reasons I've procrastinated about painting the kit, is the sheer level of detail, and the amount of drybrushing my usual terrain painting technique would take.  For the bulk of the model I've used a different approach involving a grey zenith basecoat over a black primer, and then the liberal application of a home made black wash.


The ruined floor boards are Snakebite Leather over Grey Seer with a Skrag Brown dry brush; very simple and looks great.

Here are some more shots of the exterior:



There are all sorts of details and Easter Eggs hidden on the model. It is first and foremost a Warhammer kit, as typified by Many Skulls, but also the Sigmar comet icons and so on.

The strange runes on the ground floor correspond to the 8 arcane winds of the Warhammer World (and so I assume the dial is some sort of weird magical windsock). I've painted these up in the appropriate colours according to the Old World lore:

Don't ask me what each rune meets though!
In a further nod to the Old World I've added a small node of Warpstone:

Skaven will be attracted through the culvert. Yes! Yes!
Some of my favourite features are the lit candles on some of the skulls, implying someone must be at home!


And you have to wonder how a spell book has ended up stuck in the wall!


This model doesn't need any special rules written for it, as the tower will make a great focal point as is on a gaming table.  If you assume a model has to ascend from the table top to the ground level of the tower, then it should work for Frostgrave's Silent Tower Scenario.

My next project is also fantasy-themed; a competition entry for the Facebook Frostgrave group's May painting/modelling challenge. This should be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment